Thursday, February 6, 2014

Adventures in Vegetarian Cooking: Carmelized Onion & Butternut Squash Covered Quiche

Let's cut straight to the chase on this one.


Kevin was not a fan of my latest adventure in vegetarian cooking.  I on the other hand, gave it a thumbs up.

I had made a sweet potato, carmelized onion and feta cheese quiche awhile back and we both really liked it.  This time I used what we had on hand: butternut squash puree, carmelized onion, and mozzarella.  I'm not sure what the difference was but Kevin did not like it - so much that he didn't even bother to take leftovers for lunch the next day (so you know his feelings were strong!).

What I liked about it was that because I covered it, it was a cross between a pie and a quiche.  The sweetness of the butternut squash and carmelized onions made it reminiscent of a pumpkin pie.  But the egg and the mozzarella made it acceptable for dinner (and two lunches - you better believe I took the leftovers).

 If you let your pie crust come to room temperature before rolling it out, you will have a prettier crust than me.  I usually plan dinner 5 minutes before I start to make it so I didn't have that option here.



It looks like dessert, but it's dinner!



I paired it with green beans from our freezer and pineapple.  Pineapple because we have two apples left.  Two!

Praise Baby Jesus, I never thought I'd see the day!
Since we are low on our local fruit stock, I don't feel bad buying tropical fruit.  At this time of year the fruit has to come from far away no matter what we get.

Here is the recipe, in case you trust my taste more than Kevin's:

2 Pie Crusts
1 Large Onion
1 c. Butternut Squash Puree (or pumpkin or sweet potato)
1/2 c. Mozzarella (or 1/4 c. feta)
6 eggs, beaten with a dash of half and half (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sautee onions over medium low heat until carmelized (10-15 minutes).  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375.  Beat eggs in a separate bowl with half and half (if using) and salt and pepper.  Roll out one pie crust into a pie dish.  Pour butternut squash into the pie crust.  Add the cheese, onions, and eggs to the pie crust in layers.  Do not mix.  Place second pie crust over the mixture and crimp edges together as you would a pie.  Cut four slits into the top crust.  Bake until the egg mixture is cooked through - about 35-45 minutes.  I checked if it was done by lifting and peeking through the slits.

No comments:

Post a Comment